USSD payment method can used to make payments without internet.This is a step by step guide to learn how to transfer money using USSD payment method.
India is changing rapidly. So are changing ways and lifestyle of living. From cash to cashless, people of India are shifting very fast.
This cashless revolution in India which came into being soon after PM Modi announced the demonetization of high denomination currency notes.
People are rapidly moving towards newer and modern ways of transactions. There are many cashless options in India to make payments.
USSD Payment method is a way to make cashless transactions. In this post I will tell you about usefulness of USSD payment method. Also I will show you step by step how to make payments using USSD payment method.
About USSD Payment Method
USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) is the method to send messages to an application service in the network. To make it simple, consider this example: All of us use codes like *123# or similar to check our mobile balance. We use similar codes to activate or deactivate various value added services.
USSD banking uses the same methodology to access banking service like balance check, money transfer etc. This service has been launched by NPCI under the name of NUUP (National Unified USSD Platform).
To access these services you require only a phone, not necessarily a smartphone and no internet connection.
USSD banking services can be accessed by a special code for all mobile network operators. The code specified for this is *99#. To know more about USSD payment method and how to use it continue reading the next section of this post.
Banking services accessible through USSD banking
- Instant Money Transfer using:
- IFSC & account number.
- MMID & mobile numeber.
- Aadhaar Number.
- Check Account Balance.
- Generate Mini-Statement.
- Generate/Change mPin.
- Find MMID.
- Generate OTP.
Aadhaar Seeding Status – user can check if his/her aadhaar number is linked with the bank or not and check the status of aadhaar linking process. To directly access this service dial *99*99#
Transfer Money Using USSD Payment Method – Step By Step Guide
To start using USSD banking you need to activate USSD banking service on your number. The process of activation may differ from bank to bank. For the exact method of activation you should contact your bank or visit your bank’s website to get activation information.
In this post, I shall use State Bank of India as an example and proceed further.
How to register for USSD banking?
As already said, activation process differs from bank to bank, follwing method is valid for SBI:
- Send SMS to 9223440000 containing text MBSREG.
- Wait till you recieve an SMS with your default UserID and mPIN.
- Change your pin by dialling *99#
- Select 7 for UPI pin
- and 2 for change UPI Pin
- Enter your old mPin (default mPin you recieved in an SMS) and set a new mPin.
- Now you can send or recieve money using USSD method.
How to activate your account at any SBI ATM
- Swipe your Debit card
- choose Mobile Registration
- enter your Debit Card PIN
- select Mobile Banking
- enter your mobile number
- Choose Yes
- The Mobile Number will be displayed over the screen for your confirmation. Confirm the same.
- You will get an SMS regarding activation of the primary account of the Debit Card for the Mobile Banking Service.
- You will be able to enquire the balance and take out Mini statement for this account only.
- This account will be debited when you transfer Funds/ Do Mobile Top up.
- If you desire to enable an account other than the primary account of the Debit card, please visit your Branch. You are requested to decide upon the account to be enabled for the service, before registering at the ATM or INB or at Branch.
How to transfer money using USSD payment method?
- Dial *99#
- Select 1 to send money
- You get various options to send money
- Using Mobile number of the receiver
- Using Payment Address
- Saved Beneficiary
- IFSC and Account No.
- MMID and mobile number.
- Select the desired option.
- Enter the details required.
- Now enter the amount you want to transfer.
- Enter your 6 digit mPin.
- Wait for the transaction to complete.
Done!! You have successfully transferred money from your account using USSD payment method.
Check Your Account Balance Using USSD
- Dial *99#
- Reply with 3 to check balance
- Enter your 6 digit mPin and you will get your account balance displayed.
How USSD Payment Method Is Useful
- No smartphone required.
- Internet not required.
- Anytime, anywhere balance enquiry and fund transfers.
- Easy to use.
- Available in 12 languages.
Direct USSD payment codes for various Banks (Mutli-Modal codes)
|Bank Name||Multi-modal code|
|State Bank of India||*99*41#|
|Punjab National Bank||*99*42#|
|Bank of India||*99*47#|
|Bank of Baroda||*99*48#|
|Union Bank Of India||*99*50#|
|Central Bank of India||*99*51#|
|Indian Overseas Bank||*99*52#|
|Oriental Bank of Commerce||*99*53#|
|State Bank of Hyderabad||*99*60#|
|Bank of Maharashtra||*99*61#|
|State Bank of Patiala||*99*62#|
|United Bank Of India||*99*63#|
|Yes Bank Ltd||*99*66#|
|State Bank of Travancore||*99*67#|
|Kotak Mahindra Bank||*99*68#|
|State Bank of Bikaner & Jaipur||*99*70#|
|Punjab & Sind Bank||*99*71#|
|State Bank of Mysore||*99*73#|
|South Indian Bank||*99*74#|
|Karur Vysya Bank||*99*75#|
|Tamilnaad Mercantile Bank||*99*77#|
|Development Credit Bank||*99*78#|
|Janata Sahakari Bank||*99*81#|
|Mehsana Urban Co-operative Bank||*99*82#|
|NKGSB Co-operative Bank||*99*83#|
USSD code For Different Languages
If you still have any questions about USSD payment method, please ask them in comments below. We would be glad to answer your queries.