NASA has to make some announcements. They have discovered something new. No, not aliens! NASA will make some announcements about the latest exoplanet discovery. The event will be live streamed at 1 pm EST today (11:30 PM IST).
The event will be live streamed on their YouTube channel, but you can anyways watch it live here:
Apart from this, there will be a public question answer where media as well as general public can ask questions using Twitter hashtag #askNASA. Here’s the list of briefing participants as published by NASA on their website:
- Thomas Zurbuchen, associate administrator of the Science Mission Directorate at NASA Headquarters in Washington
- Michael Gillon, astronomer at the University of Liege in Belgium
- Sean Carey, manager of NASA’s Spitzer Science Center at Caltech/IPAC, Pasadena, California
- Nikole Lewis, astronomer at the Space Telescope Science Institute in Baltimore
- Sara Seager, professor of planetary science and physics at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge
A Reddit AMA (Ask Me Anything) about exoplanets will be held following the briefing at 3 PM EST. with scientists available to answer questions in English and Spanish.
Curious to know what exo-planet means? Exo-planet is a planet which orbits a star other than sun. Astronomers have now confirmed 3,442 exoplanets in the galaxy, and they think there could be 100 billion or more in total.
Astronomers at NASA are trying to look for planets which have life, or which can sustain life. Planets which have environment similar to that of earth. Will we ever be able to find a new home for ourselves? That’s a different question, but right now we are excited to know what NASA would reveal to us. Will it be something interesting?