Technology has changed almost every aspect of our life today and education is no exception. It has drastically changed with time. Remember the old school days, fancy pencils, sharpeners, erasers, clunky overhead projectors, teacher’s lectures from a platform in front of the blackboard and all students sitting in rows, listening with their books open sometimes talking to their neighbours, feeling bored and even sleeping during the class hours.
Those days are gone and classrooms today look much different from modern students using their laptops, smartphones or tablets, instead of notes and textbooks. These are all because of the technology which has changed the way of learning, teaching and has extended the access to education. In those times, students had to travel to their schools or tuition centers to get education and a clear understanding of topics. Today, a huge volume of information is quickly and easily available at one’s fingertips worldwide through the Internet.
Technology has completely changed the roles of both teachers and learners. However, because of the access to technologies into the classroom, students are more responsible for their own learning using technology to gather relevant information. Both schools and other universities across the globe have redesigned the learning spaces to permit this new model of education.
Technology is a powerful tool which plays a significant role in supporting and transforming the world of education in many ways, such as –
- Helpful to all teachers by making it easier in creating instructional materials and permitting new ways for people to learn and work together.
- With the worldwide reach of the Internet and the presence of smart devices that can connect to it.
- Assisting teachers in helping their students by expanding beyond textbook-based learning and engaging them in learning more in detail and in other ways.
- Students can learn and understand different topics in a better way, as it helps in providing the real scenario of the concepts, through the means of videos, 3D animated images, etc. For instance, the diagram of the human heart, human digestive system, and other biology-related diagrams can be clearly viewed and easily understood through the videos rather than textbooks.
- Technology has made education easier by providing numerous options including multimedia devices, internet, smart classes, digital libraries, mobile application, ebooks, etc.
Technology has changed significantly over the last 100 years. When we look back, the term “Technology” wasn’t even a frequent word, but as we see in today’s generation, it is one of the essential and wisely used words in our everyday life. With the help of this technology, we are able to learn some information about our past, the evolution of planet earth, life and about other inventions.
Thus, these were a few points about how technology changed education. For more detailed information, subscribe to the BYJU’S YouTube Channel and watch interactive video lessons on various exam topics.